December 20, 2007

Broken Meter

This has nothing to do with the airport and I have nothing against the employee who ticketed me, but you got to love this one. Working downtown, I sometimes have to play the meter games, whereby you park at a meter and run to it every two hours to fill it back up. Sometime you win sometimes you lose.

Today I had a broken meter. As I am walking by my car, however, I notice that I am getting a ticket. To myself, I figure the meter must have got fixed and then expired, but that was not the case. How can I get a ticket, when the meter has not expired?? Believe me I have seen these guys (and gals) berated many times for simply doing their job, but this one had me completely bewildered. I had to ask how is this possible?

I was then informed he was tracking the time himself and knew that I had parked there more then two hours (which I had) and he ticketed me?? Even though the meter had not expired and I would have put more monies into it if it was not jammed, the ticket was mine. I was then told that after my initial two hours (max allocated for this meter), I should have moved my car?

Bottom line is that I managed to get a ticket for a meter violation, even though the meter had not expired.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a morning in the late '80s when I found a parking space on Beacon Street in Boston with just the post -- no meter on top. I came back an hour later, and

... you guessed it ...

... a meter had been installed and I had a ticket. Got that one overturned on appeal!

Bill Randell said...

I respect the job these people do, get my fair share of tickets and pay them.

To get e ticket at a meter that showed time remaining is somewhat baffling. Then to be told that I should have moved my car after two hours?

Anonymous said...

My kid got a ticket from a Meter maid in Boston for an expired inspection sticker.

HUH??

Anonymous said...

Gee............Jahn was doing his Christmas shopping this morning....at teh Dollar Store opposite Lincoln Plazaz...

The old Sheraton Lincoln/ Holiday Inn on Lincoln st is being carted to the dump......wow...that place opened in early 70's.......now it's history.........maybe they're going to rebuild the 1st & 2nd holes of the former Lincoln Country Club on the soon to be former Hotel site........

Nuttin quite like the old days of Lincoln Country Club..........place never had a liquor license.....but the Adult beverages flowed freely there back in the day.......twas a classic blue collar, 9 hole, bunker infested golf course....that was also a great nighttime drinking place for the kids .......esp the 5th hole n.k.a Country Club Drive. ...no pun..........the owner would drive his Cadillac around the course at night trying to roust the rowdy, GIQ guzzling, 17 yr olds ......who would then proceed to toss their cookies in the 8th hole pond

Anonymous said...

Well i just shoveld out my Fri T&G...........

Here we go again folks....taking fed'l money for a Canal District study........

.....if ever comes to fruition............my bet is Yes.......now that I see this $ being thrown at it........

We're going down the same slipeer y slope agin.well never learn........take the fedl money and it has all kinds of strings attached.....will end up coming back to bite the Worc Tax[ayers in the gluteous Maximus

Union Station..............The Airport......low income housing grants.......all end up costing us more money then they are worth.....b/c we sign on the dotted line...take the fed'l mooney and no one has the foresight to see how this hamstrings us in the future

Whats does a City gondola operator earn annually.....do we havew that job claasification yet......would thsi be simialr to a city motor equipment operator.........prob More b/c the operator will have to a fed'l boat pilots license.

Nexts weeks WOMAG .....editors column will be touting all the great things the canal District will bring us......

If we should not be in golf course or cemetery or airport or fill in the blank business............should we now be in the cnal business........esp when we cannot maintain the infrastrutre we have now............

How about $750,000 to subsidize jet fuel costs at ORH instread?

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the meter say "2 hour limit"? What part of "2 hours" is ambiguous? The idea is for the spaces to turn over.