June 22, 2009

Approaching 2000 blogs

Having this blog has been alot of fun:
  1. I have been able to vent some of my frustrations, which I hope lead to change.
  2. There are some great blogs out there that I have found and love to read.
  3. I have met some great people through this blog..
More importantly, I try to be as fair as possible. Obviously I am going to be biased towards the beliefs that I have, but I try to point to links or facts that support them.

Today I ran into a person, who told me he thought it may be too late (more or less) for the private sector to survive in the downtown/Main South areas. I got to tell you, I did alot of thinking about that and I can not disagree. Look at me, where am I investing my monies--not in these areas and I have in the past!! How can I compete with someone who is able pour 23 million into the old Burwick Furniture building?? I can't and no other private sector person could unless they were able to get the same Federal/State grants for low to mod income housing.

Although I may agree with my friend, I will not stop posting my thoughts on the blog about what I perceive as an over-reliance on low to mod income housing developments in Worcester. Lets hope Gabe is right and that these developments help turn us into the next Pittsburgh, but I can not help but think that developments that cater to high income people may be the better path?

7 comments:

David Z. said...

Bill said, "Today I ran into a person, who told me he thought it may be too late (more or less) for the private sector to survive in the downtown/Main South areas."

So Bill, you had coffee with Jahn a.k.a. Mr. Negative...I mean Realist? LOL

Bill Randell said...

Z:

I am due to have coffee with Jahn, but it was not who I was referring to yesterday.

Bill

Will EMC stock ever go up?

David Z. said...

Bill,

I was just being facetious. We need some levity once in awhile on this blog.

Speaking of which, congratulations on approaching your 2,000th blog.

I agree that you (and the many others) have raised some important community issues via these blogs. We all know that the Politicos do read them. Now if they would only take some of our suggestions and run with them!

Bill Randell said...

When I hit my 2,000 blog I hope some politicos put a comment??

What do you think??

BTW today was 1,989... In baseball 3,000 hits is a milestone. In the blogger world does 2,000 mean anything??

The Realist said...

Ok David, if a guy on this blog s/b deemed negative, I guess it would be moi.

But please keep in mind my deemed negativity is focused or centered on one overrriding priciple or fact. The city has no financial discipline. The econoimc decisions being made are not rational ones and no one would make similar financial/economic decisions for our ourselves or our families or our neighborhoods.

My post was going to immediately state that I was not the person Bill met yesterday, but you beat me to the punch. I could think of one person who it was that Bill ran into. No names mentioned on here.

Dewey, as you well know, if your team keeps less then it's best players (citizens) on the field, it will never be playing ball in mid October and the good players will move on to greener pastures, ultimately leaving a team that cannot compete.

However, unlike professional sports teams, the "Worcester Team" goes to the winter meetings & draft and continually and purposefully trades (drives out) our good in house talent for the worst players and then selects any new talent from the bottom of draft pool.

For the one millionth time, we have to change the citizenry, not necessarily the buildings. New school houses do not result in more Mensa candidates

Paulie's Point of View said...

yah, you have to buy us all a beer for continuing to read the hossshite:>)

Paulie's Point of View said...

"For the one millionth time, we have to change the citizenry, not necessarily the buildings. New school houses do not result in more Mensa candidates"

Amen