April 04, 2010

New housing policy

I know said the other day, I would come up with more details today but don't have any?   It is just real common sense what is being said.   Lets hold the low-moderate income housing levels at the current level (14%), which is already way about the 10% threshold as required by the state.   Lets support more market rate housing projects in the City of Worcester.

Who can seriously argue against this???   Think we all know who will--the developers of these low-moderate income housing projects.  There was one very interesting thing.  The new Housing report calls for a 7-9 member Neighborhood Area Revitalization Council.    I qualify to be a member and will be putting my name in.

The key to remember here is that some people may try to portray this as an attack on low-mod income housing.  It is not!!  Merely it is just a recommendation to keep the levels where they are at now. 

5 comments:

signman said...

WELL SAID.. I will vote for you

Paulie's Point of View said...

this is a good sign..Mick O'Brien is listening to others instead of the same eight or so..I am so looking forward to the upcoming meeting with him.

Gabe said...

Hey Bill, any idea where the border towns (Shrewsbury, Grafton, Millbury, Auburn, Leicester, Paxton, Holden, West Boylston, Boylston) are as far as that threshold goes?

I would be very interested in comparing the low income numbers in those towns to the border towns of Boston, Springfield, and Lowell. No really theories about the results, I'd just be interested in comparing.

David Z. said...

Gabe,

I posted a story link some time ago from the Worcester Business Journal that had the complete list for Worcester County. Maybe Bill can help find it from his archives or you can try searching the WBJ site. If I have time, I'll look too.

David Z. said...

Gabe, I found the link from the Worcester Business Journal. Here it is - http://www.wbjournal.com/lib/download.php?uuid=0001-4298f032-49144c86-30ec-d9879434

To save you some time, here is the breakdown for the towns bordering Worcester.

Worcester – 13.6 % (3rd highest in central Massachusetts)
Shrewsbury – 6.5%
Grafton – 5.3%
Millbury – 4.3%
Auburn – 3.3%
Leicester – 4.0%
Paxton – 0.8%
Holden – 3.2%
West Boylston – 4.9%
Boylston – 1.5%