August 16, 2010

Direct Air Flight--passenger comments

Bill,

I flew from Sanford on a 2:15 pm flight Thursday 8/5/2010 and I though that you should know how the passengers were treated by the crew of the aircraft. As usual it was unbearably hot and muggy in Florida. There was a weather system over DC that afternoon but the crew still boarded the passengers and had us bake on the plane for over an hour while they took on additional fuel and waited for permission to fly. That was not the worst thing that happened that day. Myself and other passengers requested some water to fight off dehydration. We were told by the first class flight attendant that "they probably will be bringing some on the plane".

Ever passenger on that plane knew that there was water on the plane already and all that he had to do was open the cart. When we finally did get into the air the flight attendants brought out the carts and SOLD us the water that they denied us on the ground. I have flown all over the globe on business and never have I seen a flight crew disrespect and out right lie to passengers the way that your crew did on that day.

If all this was not bad enough the Pilot made the most armature landing I have ever experienced in all of my flights. That includes landing on a snow packed runway in Greenbay and on an open field in an Italian stunt glider. He came in hard and fast, hit the ground with so much force that the passengers started screaming and then it all turned into a contagious laughter of relief that we were going to be alright.

I had decided to just put the whole incident behind me but I just can't let it go without telling someone in control, someone that can try to make this right so that it doesn't happen again to another group of passengers.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Stephen Theriault

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think it was the flight crew's choice not to give out the water? It was probably a company policy, not a choice made by flight attendants and staff.

David Z. said...

Did Stephen also send this to Ed Warneck at Direct Air?

As much as I repsect your ability to get things done Bill, I think this incident should be sent right to Ed.

BTW, where has your alter ego gone? Haven't heard from Jahn for several days.

Bill Randell said...

Good Point Dave. I just forwarded to Andy Davis.

Anonymous why a company choose not to hand out water in a situation like that?


Bill

Bill Randell said...

Dont have Ed Warneck's e-mail

Steve Foley said...

The airline industry has changed. It is no longer the travel of the elite, it is the travel of the masses.

Fifty years ago, the elite travelled by air, while the masses travelled by bus or train. Today, the elite travel by charter jet, while the masses travel by airline.

If I got on a hot bus, I wouldn't expect the driver to give me water. I'd get on with my own.

The same thing now holds true for the airlines. The food and beverage carts have become a profit center. I no longer expect the crew to give me free ANYTHING. If I want to drink water onboard, I buy it on the ground and carry it on.

No other method of public transportation offers free water, why must the airline?

Anonymous said...

Why should an airline offer water?

Answer= Common Sense and Good Marketing!

If an airline's profit margin is so small it can't offer bottled water (we're not talking free beer,coke etc---which in the past they used to offer for free for delayed flights)then they have no business flying...IMHO.

Bill Randell said...

Steve:

Do not expect anything free anymore on flights but under these circumstances, I would.

In business it is referred to as Goodwill.

Anonymous said...

I'm just saying don't blame the flight crew for a company policy!