May 23, 2011

Rents

About a month ago, I was sitting with a person from the City Administration who was bragging to me that the developer of market rate housing on Portland Street was asking $1,000 per month, maybe even $1,100, and that they were getting people to rent.

Meanwhile Southgate Place, on average, is looking for $1,000 for a 2 bedroom and $1,150 for a 3 bedroom affordable housing project.  

Is it just me, but does anyone else see a problem when we are struggling to get the market rate rents as high as the subsidized rents?       Better yet, how do some people complain that we need more no-lo housing projects so "working" families can get "affordable" housing, but the rents for the no-lo housing is higher then the market rates?

3 comments:

David Z. said...

The difference, the no-lo projects accept section 8 vouchers and the market rate projects do not.

BTW, the market rate units on Portland Street are very nice and being built with no public money.

Bill Randell said...

Dave

You are exactly correct....


The only ones who can afford these no-lo projects are people who have some kind of vouchers.

"Working families" cannot afford these no-lo projects.

Bill

Paulie's Point of View said...

I currently have three section 8 tenants and non are working families...I would love to see were these working class families with section 8 are..I am sure there are some but they are not nearly the majority...lastly I would live to see who these three job parents are in my neighborhood that are unable to push their kids to excel in school cause of their workload..I am sure there is one or two but not nearly the norm.....and does anyone in Woo's urban core even have a fire fighter or police officer living next door to them let alone living in a CDC built property?

I wish we were able to challenge these damn statements from our so called leaders in public...the facts always get in the way of this bullshite!