February 15, 2010

Cigarette Business

Read WoMag this week and whole the City Council is making an issue out of SNUS. FYI, this product is such a non-issue. They simply do not sell. What they should watch more then anything are e-cigs, but I digress.





Last week I ran into a friend that I went to high school with that works for one of the major cigarette companies, who told me about the stores on the New Hampshire border selling 5,000 cartons per week. He also commented how baldy the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has killed the cigarette business.





Not only has the Commonwealth taxed cigarettes to the point of pushing people into other states, but there are alot of little things. Remember all the Philip Morris that you would see around (coats, jackets, hats, etc). All of this is illegal in Massachusetts including coupons. Many times I have had people come in with coupons, only to tell them that we can not accept to which the customer says I will just save them for when I go to New Hampshire.

It would be one thing if all 50 states were doing the same thing, but Massachusetts acting alone has hurt many Massachusetts businesses and themselves through lower tax collections.

6 comments:

Brendan Melican said...

What's the issue with electronic cigarettes, Bill?
Or snus (even if they don't sell) for that matter, I haven't seen meaningful research indicating significant harm from either?

Bill Randell said...

Brendan:

I got no problem with either. In fact I want to have coupons back and the catalogs the people earned points.

It was the City of Worcester that had an issue with SNUS, check last week WoMag.

Many small businesses have been hurt, while their customers gone elsewhere for their tobacco needs.



Bill

Brendan Melican said...

Yea, I saw the issue and I get the business side of things. It's shameful.

Snus and e-cigs seem to be winning the full wrath of the anti-tobacco crowd lately, and I'm having a hard time seeing the risk, or finding any peer reviewed research indicating significant risk. I'm just trying to figure out if Councilor Palpatine has some secret info on Snus that he's not sharing.

Bill Randell said...

Brendan

It is also part of the anti-business atmosphere in the state.

Imagine if you owned a business in the northern part of the state. You cig business has been wiped out.

Now they want to tax sode and candy. Where do you think will
happen to that business?

More importantly should the City Council really be talking about SNUS? Are there not more important issues for them to deal with.

Bill

Brendan Melican said...

Snus could be the new hot-dog cart!

Jahn said...

Guys, whats a SNUS. Dittos for e-cigs?

SNUS i couldnt even venture a guess........

e-cigs.........cigs bought out of state via the internet???

My pal from the cape was in town last week. He's retired. Still gets his butts & booze in Cow Hampshire. Whenever he comes back to Worc to see family he goes the extra distance to NH. UP Rte 31(?)to Pepperell and then just cross the line?? He makes fewer trips than when he lived in Worc., but buys more on the fewer trips. I think he said he saves about 20$ on a carton of butts? Did I see a guy in front of me last week pay 8 8.32 for a pack of butts? I remember when they were $.29/pack and they went to $.31 and a guy I knew quit at that point.