February 28, 2009

Sunday Morning

Tomorrow I will wake up, wake down my driveway pick up the Worcester Telegram and the Boston Globe, which I have no idea why we subscribe to on Sundays and take them back to my house. After reading through them, in about 15 minutes, I will question why the hell we keep paying for these newspapers?

Maybe it is because I just keep waiting for some great reporting? Don't get me wrong there is some great reporting, but just not enough of it. The thing about the newspaper is that when you do get the great reporting, you love it, come back and hope that you get it again next time.

Let me post a couple questions here.
  • Last year Shaun Sutner wrote a great story on the Garage Mahal. How about a follow-up?? How many monthly parkers do we have? What is the total monthly revenue versus the expenses? What about the status of the street level retail spots?
  • Can someone, anyone, write a story about Pharmasphere, the winner of the large parcel of land in the South Worcester Industrial Park that still one year later has not taken title to the property after winning the bid with their $1 bid?

No lie I can come up with 100 other stories before the Pools Coalition has another story, but that will never happen.

There are alot of good writers in the various Worcester media publications and there are readers out here, like me, who love it when you dig into stories like these. Thats what makes people come back, not the same old same old stories that you read once per year every year for the last 25 years.

Here is hoping I read some great investigative stories tomorrow. Maybe Robert Z Nemeth will even write about the airport and how the MassPort deal is an example of privatization?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

IF the T&G could write aboot teh dirt in city politics, they would never go out of businees. Problem is reporters & writers are serfs subject to writing about what the Feudal Lords at T&G want written about.

My instincts tell me you could find a fair amt. of "issues" with this entire non profit, low income housing industry in Worc that is 95% funded with our tax dollars.

I read the T&G yesterday ( Saturday) ..flew through it in 1 minute...(no one I knew died)...then i put it on the floor b/c I spilled some water and while picking it up I read the front page re Foothiils threatre being in financail hotwater..........I didnt even see it on my cursory 1 minute reading earlier in the day......so I am thinking if I am the Foothill'ers should I approach city hall for a Hanover Theatre like bailout?............and then the Foothill folks can get a big write up in T&G about winning teh annual "cultural enrichment award" or whatever it was called................ya put the wood the city for millions in subsidies and then you get a big old "atta boy" from the cultural community........nice if ya get it........huh

Gimme Clint in an unsubsidized Grand Torino and the hell with subsidizing the artsie, fartzie crowd.

4rilla said...

I still enjoy the tactile ritual of reading the Sunday paper while enjoying a couple cups of coffee as opposed to surfing the net for my news as I do the other 6 days a week.

And I always recoup my $2.00 in coupons that I cut.

Anonymous said...

bill, just arrived on flight from orh to sfd. only 50 sob (souls on board), only 116 on flight from punta gorda to worc. weather here is nice--good luck with tonite's storm.

ben

Bill Randell said...

Ben

Thanks for the update.

That is pretty consistent with everything that I have been hearing. Other then vacations, we have been in the 60% range.

Bill