June 05, 2010

Telegram Comments

Once again I know someone who has been hurt by the unmoderated comments on-line.  Rather not say who or what the story is about, since it may only draw more attention to the comments.    Let me ask this why would you even need comments regarding a story on an accident? 

Other newspapers around the country require a person to register his or her name, just like is done in the editorial section, but not the Telegram .   In fact I called Mike Elfland once and told him that even with my blog, I moderate comments before I post them. 

Telegram here are my suggestions:
  1. Consider forcing people to register utilizing their own name, not anonymously.
  2. If not that then, you need to moderate comments before they post
  3. Remove the ability to comment on all stories, where it makes no sense
Don't get  me wrong I think the comment section could be great part of the newspaper, but it needs to be moderated better.   Currently I refuse to read the comment section as it is currently being run. 

1 comment:

Jahn said...

Speaking of Harrington Corner and central business district in general, I am wondering how mnay vendor pushcarts will still have working our vibrant downtown?

Has not been a bad spring, compared to many in the recent past. I am thinking a nice spring tends to bring out the pushcarts?