September 06, 2008

Direct Air--Day 2

First off, I am happy that we have commercial service back to ORH. Like other secondary airports that have been able to achieve a certain level of success, you need to start with secondary airlines, show community support and then attract other airlines. I heard, however, yesterday that unlike other successful secondary airports, who offer free parking prominently on their website and other marketing efforts, ORH will charge $7 per day or $42 per week. This is a mistake.

Second, sorry, but I have concerns about Direct Air:
  1. Why did they change name from Myrtle Beach Direct Air to Direct Air?
  2. Why did they recently drop, what I think would be popular destinations, like St Pete's and Biloxi? Why?
  3. Changed from JetBlue to Virgin America, why?
  4. Yesterday's website was totally unprepared. It was not until 9:00AM that the site was changed from Myrtle Beach to Direct Air and, from what I could tell, you could not even make reservations on-line to Punta Gorda until 5:00PM. Hardly the preparation one would think would be in place with their major announcement.
  5. They had to call in more operators to their telephone center. Maybe if the website was running, less people would have called, or better yet over-staff the telephone center when you make a major annoucement.

Maybe I am being too difficult, but it just does not show alot of preperation? Sorry...

4 comments:

Dave from Worcester said...

And today, when you select Worcester, Mass as the departure airport, they spelled Fort Myers wrong (Fort Meyer), then when you select Punta Gorda or Sanford, Worcester is spelled "Worchester". Also, Worcester and the other destinations haven't been added to the routemap yet. I remember Allegiant had Worcester on the routemap and their timetable within hours of the announcement.

Bill Randell said...

Dave:

Nobody wants this to be successful more then me and hoped this would be a first step to other good news.
This is pretty simple stuff.



Bill

Bill Randell said...

Hate to say it but is anyone else getting that PanAm feeling?

Dave from Worcester said...

Yup, I'm feeling that. I'm sorry, I just don't see people wanting to fly to Punta Gorda, Florida. I can see Myrtle Beach and Orlando, but there has to be work done if we don't want to go repeat the Allegiant experience.