September 22, 2008

Tyler


I was not going to post this, but I decided that I would.


Seven years ago, I heard an ad on the radio about an open house at the Greyhound Center in Southboro. I went on-line and looked at the pictures of the "available" dogs, found Tyler, went to the open house and adopted him on the spot within 5 minutes. In fact two days later when we picked him up, Chronicle was doing a special on the Greyhound Center and filmed us taking him home.


Since that time he has been nothing but a joy and a part of our family. He loved laying around watching television and would come to work with us nearly every day (thats him above at the office). Turning 11 years old this year, he did start to slow down and would rather stay at home then come to work. Evidently he thought that he had reached his retirement age?


This past week-end, he became sick and got steadily worse. Sunday night, we finally brought him to Tufts Veterinary Emergency and were told the bad news. He had cancer and maybe after an operation and chemo that he would have another 6-8 months, we decided that it was time to say goodbye.


I am only posting this here to let anyone, who reads this blog to know that if you ever thought about a dog or adopting a greyhound that it is something that I highly recommend and you will not regret it. He gave us much more then we ever gave him and he will be missed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buddy the Beagle turned 11 this August..I have a huge birthday party for him every summer on the Charles-100+ show up (mostly folks who have met him at my events)..the vet told me I may have him another 4-6 years if I keep him healthy..oy vey another 4-6 years:>) I threatened to kill him at minimum 10 times a day but to be honest with you I'd be lost with out him..he has become so much of me and he of me:>)

I nevah had kid's..he has been my kid! vet bills, food bills, walks daily, gotta go out for the nature calls, care for when sick, babysitters when I wanna go out..geez I shoulda had kid's:>)

he has eaten two vehicles completely inside..hates to be left alone! If you have had a beagle you know what I mean..my gal always comments how easily I get mad at her but never at a dog who has literally eaten the insides of my vehicles:>)Women just do not understand the bond between man and beast!

RIP Tyler...my condolneces to the la famalia Wild Will..wanna a beagle for the weekend:>)

Anonymous said...

MY dog (4th one I have owned) turned 15 last week.....I have had him for 10 years....he's slowing down for sure.......but still getting by.....I can empathize with both of you.......as he's 1/2 beagle......and Tufts got me for 1800$ a couple years ago.......stupid beagle likes to walk into sharp objects...........God are those beagles pig-headed mules!....

Dog catcher even left his calling card about 2 yrs ago....as my pal has been known to leave the my compound on occasion....cops, neighbors, and even old ladies have brought him home more times then I can recall......he's known as the Mayor of my street.....but used to wander far & wide in his younger days........

I have buried 2 dogs in my lifetime....which is prob. illegal....(++++ 'em ).....so even as cold hearted as some think I am..............I do have a soft spot for our 4 legged friends......and a flagstone still marks the resting place of my 3rd 4legged pal

My sympathies.....we all get attached to these creatures......they are truly great therapy.......my guy even got invited to the old age home once (Christopher Heights I think it's called?) by a former neighbor who wanted to see him. They actually do allow this as pets are considered good therapy for all

Paulie, my guy destroyed the front screen door, including part of the wooden frame, and also including the pet proof screen.....2x this summer during late afternoon downpours.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, a greyhound is very much on my radar when I am able to get a dog, I think they are simply lovely dogs.

Jeff Barnard said...

You gave him a great life, Bill... one he certainly wouldn't have had otherwise.

RIP Tyler.

Anonymous said...

we had to put down flint, the dismas dog last year for the same reason. painful stuff. he's been replaced by a shady character named martha who was lost in the woods of West Boylston for 4 days...a sad replacement for a loyal shepherd.

all the best bill about yr. dog.

Anonymous said...

Its tuff to have a dog and have to say goodbye. Bill you must have enjoyed the Simpsons episode when they adopt santa's little helper the grey hound.