July 24, 2010

MassPort Balancing Act

The more I think of it, the more I know ORH is going to be a viable airport sooner then later.  Over the next couple of months, I expect to see more announcements to leisure destinations.  Also think you will see, no offense to Direct Air, but better carriers.    The one that makes the most sense is JetBlue.

Although the ideal situation would be a daily shuttle with multiple flights to a major hub, where you could then connect directly anywhere.  I just don't see that happening right away, but this time next year?  Definately.

The other new hot rumor is San Juan.   This one makes alot of sense too.   Large Puerto Rican population in Central Massachusetts, that travel back to PR all the time.  Many people in Central Mass own property in PR and they travel back and forth constantly.  

A problem I see MassPort facing is if they get too much commercial business too fast, the question may start to be asked "why did this not happen until now?"   I have always maintained that we made a mistake only talking to MassPort and that we should have RFP the entire airport, but too late for that now.   MassPort has ownership, lets support their efforts and move forward.

Exciting time right now for ORH.  In April I predicted to new commercial carriers at ORH by the end of the year and I stick by that one. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

airtran? they only fly to boston around here, a couple flights a day to atlanta sounds like a good idea.