March 11, 2006

Florida Parent

E-mail I received today, by the way I told her that the best option was to take a taxi to Union Station then catch the train in. If anyone has a better idea let me know.


Dear Bill,

I am a mother from Winter Park, Florida. I am looking into using Allegiant to send my daughter back to school at BU. I am not able to find out if there is any public transportation that will get my daughter from the Worcester airport to Boston. It appears to me that cost of a taxi from your airport would offset any savings I might gain in using your airport. I am unable to find any options from your web site.

I would like to know what my options are. Is there a shuttle to a bus or train station? If so, what stations? Can you give me a link to find out the schedule?

I know I am not the only parent from here that has had these concerns. Travel from the Orlando/Sanford airport is much easier for most families in the northern Orlando communities. Our only real concern is how complex (and expensive) it is when we arrive at the Worcester airport.

I am inclined to make every effort to use your airport simply based on the fact that I am able to email you my concerns. I hope there is a viable solution to my concern. Thank you for your time in responding.

Sincerely,

Maureen May
3081 Heartleaf Place
Winter Park, FL 32792

1 comment:

Jim Brooks said...

I have no immediate ideas for this particular parent but I like many believe that the major problem is accessibility.

I do have have an idea to help improve this-

Right now there are 4 weekly flights into ORH. Most of the traffic is within a 3 hour period 8 am- 11am. As most know that time of day is traffic prown on major E-W Streets (Rt 9, Chandler).

What if a mini-bus provided FREE transportation from the Auburn Park & Ride right off the Pike to the airport? I believe a local transportation company could provide this service for $150-200/ day which would equal $600-$800/week. Could Allegiant be convinced to pay for the service if 10 more seats a week were to be purchased? From Auburn, it is a 15-20 minute ride about equal to similar shuttle bus services in Providence & Boston.

Just a thought?