March 18, 2006

Letter to Editor 3/17

Tim MacDonald had the following letter printed yesterday. Tim is a local resident, local business-owner and an avid fan of ORH. Seems like a perfect addition to the board??



Friday, March 17, 2006
Allegiant service is hope for airport


I recently took a flight on board Allegiant Air’s Worcester to Orlando service. It began with purchasing a very reasonably priced round-trip ticket for two on board a full-size commercial jet plane. The flight was one of the easiest I had ever taken.

I was at the airport in minutes. I checked in, proceeded through security and read my newspaper while I waited to board. The plane took off and landed on time. My trip back took off on time and landed ahead of schedule in Worcester through a pretty thick fog and during a light snowfall. Worcester Regional Airport has potential, but I also realize it has some hurdles to overcome on its way to returning as a choice for people when planning to travel.

This may be Worcester Regional Airport’s final chance at becoming a major player as a regional airport in New England. I do believe with the right airlines, destinations, the support of the greater Worcester area and those involved in making the long-term decisions for the airport, it can happen. If Worcester is a city looking for a revival it must have a viable commercial airport.

TIMOTHY MacDONALD Worcester

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Reasonably priced round trip ticket... Hmmm...
Has anyone else noticed that Allegiant has since raised its rates clear across the board? When the lowest rate use to be 59$ it is now 74$. I have flown Allegiant out of Worcester a couple of times, including the innaugeral flight and am a big supporter, but if they raise the off-season rates anymore, it will force me to consider leaving Worcester (which I would hate to do).
-JDM

Continue to Spread the Word!!! said...

They may raise it due to Fuel and Loads together over a month or two.. In Ytown they fell from 89 to 79 but should rise soon.

Anonymous said...

Am in full agreement with Tim MacDonald's comments. ... Allegiant provides great service. ~ I have previously flown flown out of Bradley and Logan to Orlando. It is a relief, indeed, not to have to contend with either "circus" ~ thanks to ORH and Allegiant! ... The Worcester Airport has come a long way over the years. Am especially impressed with the airport staff. ~ Even the TSA personnel were friendlier than at Hartford, Boston OR Orlando !

BTW, regarding the comments from "anonymous" ... Do you seriously consider $74 for a return flight unreasonable? ~ IF you feel "forced" to consider leaving Worcester, I doubt you will find a less expensive fare than that charged by Allegiant. ~ The inconvience of driving to either Hartford or Boston, coupled with the hassles at either airport, traffic, etc....certainly not very inviting.

Anonymous said...

Bill, I spoke with Paul Clancy yesterday and he tells me that the City is considering allowing city employees to serve on boards/commissions. Do you know any more details?