December 11, 2005

Concerned About Allegiant

Over the past week, a couple (who know of my interest in ORH) have asked me about the new airline and how they are doing. What concerned me is that they did not know the name of the airline?? One even thought it was JetBlue?? This is not a good indication, we have one airline and everyone should know by now that it is Allegiant Air, and if you want a ticket go to http://www.allegiantair.com.

This got me to thinking, why do people not know the name of the airline?? In today's Sunday paper there is an ad on page A22 that is about 1/12 of the page. I think over the past week I heard a radio ad on WTAG, that I almost did not even realize was an ad for Allegiant. There may have also been a television commercial that I saw. In all honestly, if it was not for my involvement in the efforts to rejuvenate ORH, I may also not have know the name of the airline that has come back to ORH. If you do not believe, ask someone the name of the airline that starts December 22nd??

FREE PARKING!!! Sorry I always go back to that but that should have been, and still be, the best way to market this airport and make people aware of the airline that is flying out of ORH.

FREE WIFI!!

DUNKIN DONUTS!!

Imagine if we had these three things going for ORH.. People cutting over the airport would stop, maybe check their e-mails and get a coffee and would be aware of Allegiant Air. My point is that marketing the airport as a destination is almost as important as marketing the airline in our intial stages, if not more important. To date the airport management has done a lousy job. If you do not believe me, ask someone today what airline starts at ORH on December 22nd.

Members of WIP met with the Mayor about one year ago and it was suggested that a Blue Ribbon committee (including some of us) would be established to decide how to spend the $455,000 DOT grant. This was not done and that was a mistake. I look forward to getting a report at the next airport commission meeting as to how the grant monies have been spent to date.

No comments: