January 17, 2006

Charley Farley

You got to love him... I was trying to say that in order for our airport to be a real airport, we need to have a Cat 3 landing system. In retrospect an old run-down terminal with Cat 3 Landing system would have been better then a brand new terminal with a Cat 1 system.

At the same time, this should not fall on the tax-payers of Worcester. An efficiently run regional airport in Worcester would benefit not only Central Mass residents but Logan also. Charley, I am NOT saying that the tax-payers of Worcester should pay for it but why not the State or Federal Government??? In fact, if the burden to install a Cat 3 system fell on the tax-payers of Worcester, I would join Mr Farley to close ORH.

One month into Allegiant Air at ORH and it is evident to me that the Cat 1 system simply will not allow our airport to ever be successful... We have two options:

  1. Get a Cat 3 system installed. This needs to be paid by someone else, anyone else except the tax-payers of Worcester.
  2. Close the airport. A Cat 1 system will only allow Worcester to continue as an unreliable airport that will continue to lose millions of dollars per yeat.

2 comments:

Bill Randell said...

Steve:

If we want to have commercial service at ORH like Logan, we need a Cat3 landing system.. If you do not think so ask anyone who was on one of the four delayed flights during the first month.

When I say close ORH, I really mean more along the lines of being strictly a General Aviation airport like the other 50 airports in Massachusetts.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Stevef, I'd rather be delayed in Worcester and have a direct flight than missing my connection. I've missed my connection several times flying from Logan, and it's not fun!