January 11, 2006

Letter to the Editor

We have not done a good job marketing the airport itself. You can always find a flight cheaper when you are within one hour or Providence, Manchester, Boston and Hartford. We have to market ORH as 1) being competitive and 2) convenience. Things like free parking, free wifi, a restaurant and maybe a kids area like they do a Bob's Furniture would make ORH a convenient place to fly. Here is the letter in today's paper:

Southwest was choice for this Florida trip


I’d like to respond to a recent letter to the editor regarding Allegiant Air. I also found the cost of a round trip ticket to Orlando, Fla., outrageous. At $434.40 per person, the cost for my family would total $2,172. My dates were flexible, with departure and return dates midweek. I was excited at the prospect of departing from an airport closer to home, but I will continue to travel out of Providence via Southwest Airlines. I was able to secure tickets via Southwest at about half the cost of Allegiant Air. The likelihood of Allegiant Air finding a comfortable home in the city of Worcester is not likely if they are not willing to be a good neighbor. We all know good neighbors are hard to find, and it’s worth the travel to continue a reciprocal relationship.

Judith Brogan
Spencer, MA

3 comments:

Continue to Spread the Word!!! said...

That is very expensive.... If it comes to YNG I have my dates set and ready to check the flights at the cheapest fare...

Bill Randell said...

Steve:

My point is that people should not even be complaining about price. They should be saying that Allegiant has very competitive prices, and even if SouthWest is cheaper the convenience of flying out of Worcester makes up for it..

We have not done a good job marketing the airport itself. Again free parking, free wifi, restaurant, kids area would make a few bucks savings on SouthWest or JetBlue a moot point.

Anonymous said...

I think people have every right to complain about price. I think there are VERY few people out there who would be willing to pay double the price for a slightly shorter drive to the airport. Allegiant needs to play close attention to fares from ALL of the surrounding airports to be competetive. A little more expensive is OK to make up for the convience of leaving from Worcester, but the fares they are charging now are downright prohibitive to their success.