April 29, 2009

South Worcester NRSA

Been busy the past couple of days working on an application that I submitted some 4 months ago under the NRSA (Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy Area) in South Worcester.

I applied for some grant monies, think $4500, to do the roof on one of my properties through the NRSA. After submitting my application and fee of $150, I waited about two months then received a letter that my application had been denied because my property was not owner occupied.

I contested this, since although owner occupants should receive preferential treatment, the mere fact my property was not owner occupied did not disqualify me. In fact I have been involved with the Chandler NRSA and we have given grant monies to non-owner occupied houses. The income of the tenants is actually more important then the owner occupance and all of my tenanats were low to mod income. After some discussion it was agreed that my application would be processed.

Next I was told that I had to submit $450 ($150 per unit) and submit a new application based on a "revised" appplication. Again I contested this since the fee of $150 was per address not per unit and has been the norm throughout the City of Worcester. It was agreed that the application fee should only be $150.

Then I was told that I had to resubmit my application on a new "revised" application. I am still waiting for this "new" application. In fact the past couple of days I even asked various people within the City Administration and nobody seems to know about this "new" application.

The NRSA has lots of potential, like our airport, but when it is run incorrectly it is a failure. Lets hope the South Worcester NRSA can turn it around.

4 comments:

signman said...

Bill

too funny... it took us what three years to get things going and we are in a good groove now with the CBA and the city it is a great program the city is on with us (the CBA) maybe it is SW who does not want to part with the money so they can use it for their own projects...too funny don't go away that is waht they want...

Bill Randell said...

Good news is that I got an e-mail today to send back my original application.

Maybe we are turning it around?

Bill Randell said...

Again let me stress that the NRSA, if there is a true partnership between:

1) the City
2) a business group
3) CDBO

then this can be a great program for the five neighborhoods that have been targeted.

signman said...

Bill

they read your blogs.... don't they.... you are correct on your second comment....lokk what we have done on Chandler with ALL working together