June 09, 2009

Worcester Local First

I had to put this as the title to make sure Steven Jones D"Agostino (SJD'A) receives this in his google alerts. Tonight I went to O'Connors. Happy to let you know that I could not find any Arlington based businesses there, let's hope they are not listed as number 1 and 2 in the membership directory much longer.

Who did I find?? How many people can you really talk to and have a serious conversation in one hour? Tonight I met three (almost four) people, that I had never met in my life until tonight. Very impressed by all of them--all actual business-owners.

What was my favorite part? SJD'A!! I almost felt bad that I banged him on the blog when I saw his comment yesterday, but did he give me the evil eye tonight? He gets it. Business is business. Can you imagine banging the Chamber and having someone from the Chamber of Commerce leaving a comment defending themselves like SJD'A did, not anonymously, then welcome me the next day when I show up at their event?

I have never been a member of the Chamber of Commerce nor have I even considered it. What the hell is the cost now anyhow --$325??? Think anyone will respond from the Chamber to this post like SJD'A did yesterday? Join Worcester Local where the Executive Director and meet other business owners.

7 comments:

tim macdonald said...

We are members of the chamber. I am not sure what we pay for being members but I am positive I don't know what they do for us. The only time I see anything is for the after hour parties and their golf tournament. Which is where I think you are getting your number Bill. It is $325 per person to play.

Bill Randell said...

Tim:

I just checked their website. If you have under 5 or fewer, the cost is 295 per year.

Each employee over 5 add $5 to the 295.

Bill

Sprout said...

Glad you spoke up about the Local First web site - it bothered me too.

Wanted to go last night to O'Connors, but decided to go to the mayor's biz dinner tonight instead...I'm no good mingling 2 days in a row!

Steve (but not SJD'A) said...

My guess is the google alert is based on Worcester Local First, and not simply Worcester Local

Jahn said...

Anyone think any local pol will be checking into the hospital soon.........????

"Patches" Kennedy or Representaive Marzilli style??.......... a.k.a. as feigned mental issues.....

Paulie's Point of View said...

I was one of the first to throw the organization $100 at the Chandler Business Association sit-down and put logo on biz group web site:>) and I have never been asked if it could push the NOLA festival - so here is one business that fell thru the cracks and being a small business owner I know you don't let clients fall thru the cracks:>)

BTW-I have spent over $2000 at CC Lowell's framing my NOLA stuff the past year.

Paulie's Point of View said...

thanks for the plug Wild Will...WooTown First:>)