April 15, 2010

City Kills Billboard Moratorium

Read the headliine yesterday above a story written by blog fav Nick K.   Ironically I was at the initial meeting, when a member of the ZBA suggested a board moratorium.   To me that mad sense to me also and I can understand why the City Council in turn asked for the moratorium.

As time went on, however, I learned more about this issue as I think other members of the City Council did with the help of the people who own the sign businesses and the Chamber of Commerce.   In the end I agree with Coucilor Smith's assertion that "the moratorium was no longer needed because the city administration will be submitting to the council in two weeks new zoning rules and regulations governing signs."
Bottom line although this was "messy", as Councilor Petty explained, I feel the Council respected the suggestion of the ZBA but did the right thing by not adopting it.   Think this is actually a good example of how government should work. 

Kudos to the people who own sign companies for getting involved and especially to the Chamber of Commerce.  Lets hope they get involved in issues like this that come up all the time and represent the business interests of the community like they did here. 

1 comment:

signman said...

The chamber did a great job getting involved with this. I think the council did a good job "THEY LISTENED" in the end. The city claims they are understaffed. Does the council realize how much time (planning department) was spent on this. They should have asked questions demanded that the ordinance get put on the table... which this process made happen but the time and money wasted??? I do feel for the ZBA for the nonsense appeals they had to deal with. I was at that meeting and feel if Worcester Sign listened had a better plan the ZBA probably would have went along the ZBA reached out to compromise.... but ..I would think that if a ZBA member shoots out a request to a councilor at a meeting ( by the way don't think hey should be at these meetings) I would think that a little research before rushing to justice would have served the city better.
By the way.. go by and look at the not permitted sign that Bill blogged about last fall.... starting to lean... The council should spend time enforcings it's currant sign regs.