October 13, 2011

Middle Class Flight

Let me see if I get this right.  In 2003 or thereabouts, RKG did a housing study and recommended we stop building low-mod income housing since we already exceeded the amount required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.   Instead we should focus on market rate housing.

Did we listen??   No!!  INstead we literally invested hundreds of millions of dollars throught the CDC's to make Worcester the low-no income leader in Massachusetts.    Does today's headline really shock anyone??    Guess what???  We will keep spening more money on about ten more project the CDC's and the South Worcester Neighborhood Center and each one will have a ribbon cutting cderemony.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...which brings us back to your Harrisburg post below....

UGH!


Harry T
Worcester,MA

Jahn said...

Gee..... I look at this thread title "Middle Class Fight" and I see a pic of a JEtBlue plane flying over NYC(?) and I think we're getting a new flight at ORH.

Bill, in about 1987-88 Worc had a company named On Site Insight do something similar but it centered more on a re-write of the zoning ord. I'd be curious to see if they had anything similar to say. If I am not confusing On Site with RKG, I believe one cite that On Site- In Sight said was that Worc really needed to thin out the 3 deckers. I am Not sure how you do that, but the thinking was probably aimed to much high density low income housing. MAybe DR can dig a copy of it outta the City Hall dungeon for you?

I googgled it and only came up with a home inspection compnay in Bawstin.

Come to think of it, the best way to thin out the 3 deckers is to drive the 3 decker Landlord out of business with low income housing that costs $513,000 per apt. complete with 2.5 baths , granite counter tops, etc (and no parking :) ).

We need to have an appearance from the Piedmont Pitbull. I wanna know whats going on with SMOC/Piedmont. I heard a rumor(s)