May 16, 2010

Nemeth Story

I did miss this, click here.   Like Mr Nemeth I am also excited to see that the City of Worcester is out of the airport business.   Four years ago, or was it five, a group of us submitted a letter to the Airport Commission that he chaired expressing our opinion that we should privatize.   Basically we suggested that we put out a bid to lease the airport out long-term (99 years) like Newburgh, New York did when they leased Stewart out to National Express.   There was nothing about this idea that was "off-the-wall" from this silly blogger.  In fact our recommendation has become a reality, since the airport is being privatized through an outright sale to MassPort.  

Also, I never expected millions of dollars in a windfall profit, but as a tax-payer I did expect "fair market value".   Is Mr Nemeth suggesting that is a bad idea?  Since we never actually put the entire airport out in an RFP or even got a valuation, instead we just listened to studies from consultants?    My contention has been, is and always will be, are we getting "fair market value"?   Neither Bob Nemeth, myself nor any other silly blogger will know, since we never put ORH in its entirety out for sale sale of long term lease.

My gut tells me that five years from now when ORH is cranking, a good thing for Worcester and due to MassPort, we will look back on the sale of ORH like the Indians did after selling Manhattan.

1 comment:

JSF said...

I think it's interesting that 'surveys' and 'studies' showed that the airport could not be sold, yet those 'surveys' and 'studies' were never published.

As I recall, the silly blogger in charge of this blog contacted the lessee of another airport who replied they would consider ORH if they were given ANY information about it.

Maybe Diane Williamson should look to her own paper the next time she needs to complain about a complete and utter lack of investigation.