March 14, 2007

Councilor Rosen

What exactly did he do wrong last night? I watched the meeting and this is what I heard.

  1. Councilor Rosen said that he would not support an extension of the current agreement. We all agree that the first 5 year agreement and the current 3 year agreement have gotten us nowhere. Although we should thank MassPort for the subsidies, it has not worked for either the City of Worcester or MassPort.
  2. Councilor Rosen said we hoped ORH was either sold to MassPort or a long-term lease was executed with MassPort. This is the type of agreement that he would support.
  3. Councilor Rosen only wished that we were talking to other authorities and airport management companies, not just MassPort
Keeping in mind that I agree 100% that the negotiations between ORH and MassPort should not be made public until they are complete, what exactly did Councilor Rosen say wrong? If Councilor Rosen had divulged some details of the on-going negotiations then I would have whole-heartedly agreed that this would have been incorrect. Again what did he say that we all, especially those who read this blog, did not know already?

Has not the City Manager said the he was in on-going negotiations with MassPort for several months? What else can we be talking about but 1) continuation of the current agreement, 2) the outright sale to MassPort or 3) long-term lease to MassPort? Did former Chairman and current Commissioner Nemeth hurt the negotiations when he urged us to sell or long-term lease ORH to MassPort in his Sunday column a few weeks back also?

In my opinion I translated Councilor Rosen's comments to mean that he hoped only that the on-going negotiations would end up with an onright sale or long-term lease to MassPort. Not only do I agree, but I see nothing wrong with his comments

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did Councillor Rosen vote to waive the Loews Performing Arts center $190,000 mandatory fee?

The reason I ask is b/c today I stumbled across Rosalies Monthly(?) rag at a local restaurant..IN City Times. I have not seen it in ages??

Councillor Rosen had a piece about the need for Need for PILOT payments

I sure hope he's not trying to have it both ways here. Did he or did he not vote to waive 190K of non profit fees? I sure hope he voted NO. Because if he didnt, he's got no buisness writing about trhe need for volutary PILOT payments while at the same time waiving mandatory city building permit fees for non
profits.


I'll tell ya.....who ever conceived the idea of making that E M Loews a non profit venture is one smart cookie...assuming it doesnt go tehe way of tehe Bijou.