June 19, 2010

Juntion Shop Open

Eric, sorry I missed it.  I wanted to go but I had some problems that I had to take care.   Can you update us in the comment section?

While I am hear let me tell you about the problem.  Tenant calls about a leak in the ceiling.  They are on third floor of a 3 decker.  I tell them to go to the closet in the closet and turn off the shut offs.  The pipes run through the ceiling to the bathroom and kitchen.  They do it and no water is running to the bathroom or kitchen, but it is still leaking.  Tell them to wait there must be water accumulated and it will stop. 

15 mintues later they call and he tells me it is still leaking bad and to please come over.  I go over and it makes no sense.  The shut offs are working, no water to the apartment but water is leaking like crazy.   I climb into the attic and this is  frigin sink in the middle of the attic.   Think I noticed it before but never knew there was plumbing to it. 

What happened was one of the wooden legs had broker and it was leaning over so water was steadily pouring out.  Water kept running into the sink because the float (like a toilet bowl), never rose high enough tt shut off the water.  Diosconnected it and the problem was solved. 

Here is my questions.... This sink has to be 50 years old.  Why would anyone have a piped sink with a float in an attic like this?? Jahn?? 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe they had a grow house up in the attic 50 years ago? Plenty of warmth and sunlight...

:D


Harry T
Worcester,MA

Jahn said...

I know what you're talking about and I have been told what that device is all about and I cannot recall.

Wooden framed and sink is maybe 2-3 ft long, a foot wide and a foot deep? Often found next to the chimney? Metal liner in it.

Two S.W.A.G. here....

1. I think it was something to do with holding hot water before the days of running water in these older houses and/or related to the old steam heat systems as a source of hot water or

2. It held water for flushing the toilet.

Oddly enough I had lighting ( I assume) once strike the flashing around a chimney...singed away a few shingles and roof sheating, too....the old tongue & groove type roof sheathing that was placed about 2 inches apart. The lightning strike was unbeknownst to me b/c it is like 40 feet up there and I never was able to see this area of the roof from the ground. So roof was leaking but it leaked right into this old sink thingie. Like you, all was well for the longest time until somethng happend....we got copious amts of rain and the sink overflowed.

Now if the old Manoog Plumbing Museum was still in Woooooostaaaaaah, you could swing by there and you'd have an answer.

I'll betcha a Winterhill guy might have a more definitive answer.

A bit of advice, it may be copper lining.....check it in a few months.....see if the copper lining is till there. :)

Anonymous said...

It was most likely to increase pressure for the tenants on the upper levels of the house.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bill. We had about 25 people show up for the Junction Studios open house on Friday, about a dozen or so were actively looking for studio workspace in Worcester. I provided preliminary floorplans, a FAQ and a survey at the Open House; they have been posted to Google Docs at:

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2DfYsxFTc05ZmRhYjU5MTMtMWU3Zi00MWY1LThiYjgtYjdlMGJmMDQwOWIx&hl=en

(This is my first try at posting docs publicly on Google Docs – let me know how it works). The drawings and FAQ answer a lot of the questions asked earlier on this blog. If you are an artist looking for space, please fill out and return the survey to ARTS Worcester no later Friday, July 2, 2010. Besides providing me with valuable information on the proposed design and operation of Junction Studios, completion of the survey will ensure your entrance into the initial tenant lottery should the space be oversubscribed.

Eric K.
Worc., MA