January 05, 2009

49 Canterbury Street

As of tonight still not shoveled.

This parcel was awarded to Pharmasphere a year ago for $1, although they still have not taken title. In fact, they do not have to take title until they get a building permit, of which they have until September of 2010 to obtain. In the meantime the City of Worcester still owns the lot, has to maintain it and does not receive one penny in property taxes.

This lot starts on Canterbury Street, across from Pioneer Oil, heads South down Canterbury, turns left on Gardner then left again on Southgate. Linear feet has to be 500 yards and not one yard has been shoveled.

In this case I am actually not blaming the City of Worcester for not shoveling their walks, but question how they can conduct an RFP, whereby the proposed winning bidder can tie up a property for three years while the City of Worcester does not collect 1 penny in taxes and also has the added responsibility of maintaing the walks for 1 dollar?

5 comments:

4rilla said...

Can I go shovel the sidewalks for "market rate" and submit my bill to the city??

Bill Randell said...

4rilla:

I heard that too. My first suggestion would be the community service patrols that we occasional see cleaning the streets or call Guy and ask him to send down a crew.

like the City Manager but I thought his line the the city has limited resources to do all the walks that they are responsible for. If the City can use that as an excuse why can't you or me?

Anonymous said...

Guys, as I just stated in another post, I question the legality of this too. What do other communities do re: sidewalk shoveling?

Bill Randell said...

I question how the City of Worcester can fine me or you while not shoveling their own walks?

Anonymous said...

They probably fine themselves, and transfer the fine from the general fund to the general fund to cover the fines.

Hmmm. I wonder if they would call that new revenues?